Fast, easy, delicious feel-good vegan sweet potato falafels are here! These 10-ingredient falafels are nothing short of a gift from heaven. Quite honesty, these might make my “what would you bring to a desert island” short list.
If you love delicious food (don’t we all?), but don’t have time to cook elaborate meals, then this recipe is for you. They’re super easy to throw together in under 40 minutes, are completely plant-based and gluten-free and come packed with fantastic spices and a gorgeous color. You just steam the sweet potatoes, blend all the ingredients together in a food processor, then bake the falafels. Boom!
This recipe is one that is bullet-proof if you’re worried about getting bored with your meals throughout the week, but don’t want to cook more than once for your weekday lunches. The 18-24 falafels this recipe yields are drool worthy in wraps, bowls, sandwiches, dipped in hummus, and more!
These falafels can be ready in under 35 minutes and are perfect for any dish throughout the week. Pitas, bowls, wraps, you name it, these go well in it. They’re incredible for you and are loaded with fiber, Vitamin C, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties to keep you in balance. Plus, the flavor is amazing. Take one bight into the soft falafels and you get a slightly smoky but sweet taste with a hint of turmeric and lemon. Absolutely amazing.
I’ve been playing around with this recipe for quite some time and finally found the perfect combination. The idea first originated while I was making dinner with my boyfriend in his apartment kitchen. I was obviously looking to impress him while spending as little time over the stove as I could and the original idea for the best thing on this green earth came into being: sweet potatoes + falafel <3
You HAVE to try these in the Tzatziki Sauce Falafel Wraps from the blog. They’re my favorite!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 15oz cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- A dash of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375*F
- Start by roughly chopping and steaming the sweet potato (skin on or off – whatever you prefer) until you can stick a fork through 1 piece. Next, Put the sweet potato in a food processor and blend until the large chunks are gone.
- Add the rest of your ingredients into the food processor and try to scoop the blended sweet potato from the bottom of the processor and put them on top of the other ingredients. You just want the blades to be able to access them. Blend until most of the chunks are gone and the cilantro leaves are cut up, but be sure to stop before you have a hummus consistency! Depending on the food processor you’re using, you might have to stop the machine and stir the ingredients around to be sure that everything is getting blended.
- Get ready to make some falafel! Grab a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper, Use a large spoon or – better yet – an ice cream scooper and grab enough dough to make falafel balls that are about an inch in diameter. Place the balls at least 1 inch apart on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool and serve! This makes about 18-24 falafels. Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. They go with everything!