Are you in the mood to make something beautiful and delicious in under 30 minutes and with just 9 ingredients tonight? Heck yes you are! As if the simplicity of this scrumptious Roasted Beet & Parsnip Soup wasn’t enough to convince you it’s worthy of your kitchen, its health benefits will absolutely do the trick. This soup of the gods is 100% plant-based and gluten-free and comes packed with nutrients from the beets and parsnips that form its base.
This dish is the perfect tonic for any kitchen rut. It’s SO beautiful and goes perfectly with absolutely anything. I keep this for days and toss everything from pumpkin seeds to parsnip croutons to quinoa and polenta on top. It’s thick, nourishing, sustaining, and is bright enough to warm even the coldest of winter nights.
The ingredient list is short, sweet, and perfect. No need to run to the store for any strange seasoning here. Feel free to play around with the seasoning levels depending on how sweet or savory you like your soup. Both coconut milk and almond milk work unbelievably well, the former for a creamier soup and the latter for a lighter version. I’ve selfishly hogged my stock of both versions because they were equally delicious. It was impossible to decide which was better, so I’m leaving it up to you which one you choose.
The perfect topping for this soup is some parsnip croutons! Simply save about 1/4 of your roasted parsnips when they come out of the oven, dice them up, and bam – you have the perfect topping for your soup.
If you’re interested in other bright dishes to warm up your plate, check out my Beet Hummus, Turmeric Hummus, 5-Minute Asian-Inspired Rainbow Salad, 10-Ingredient Sweet Potato Falafel or Beet & Kale Quinoa Salad.
- 2 small beets
- 4 parsnips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk (from a can) or unsweetened almond milk if you want a lighter version
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat your oven to 425*F
- Start by washing, peeling, and roughly chopping your beets. Olive oil is completely optional, but if you do want to use some, toss 1 tablespoon into the veggies, and roast on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, set aside 1/4 of your roasted parsnips if you want parsnip croutons for toppings. Next, just toss your remaining ingredients in the blender, blend until smooth, then transfer the soup into a pot on the stove, heat, and serve!
- A great way to top your soup is to add a dollup of extra coconut milk or almond milk, chopped roasted parsnip (parsnip croutons!) and some pumpkin seeds. YUM!