Have I got something special for you all today! Check out these quick & easy Almond Butter & Chocolate Puffed Rice Squares! Where were these babies in my slumber party days? This recipe is under 10 ingredients, takes just 15 minutes of prep work, and is the ultimate crowd pleaser. It’s sweet, nourishing, slightly salty and completely filled with chocolatey goodness. Trust me – one bite of these and you’ll never want to go back to marshmallows again. This simple dish binds puffed rice cereal together with just almond butter, maple syrup, and honey and is topped with a heavenly layer of dark chocolate.
You can absolutely use dark chocolate chips if you’re in a rush, but I do recommend trying your hand at making dark chocolate at home with my simple recipe below. It’s seriously so easy – just put everything in a double boiler and melt – and the taste is unbelievable. Plus, my dark chocolate recipe shows you how to make this awesome topping without any refined sugar… WIN.
If you’re loving this healthy dessert recipe and want to try more, check out my Black Bean Brownies, Sweet Potato Chocolate Cupcakes, Chickpea Blondies, 5-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge, and 1 Bowl Carrot Cake with Coconut Frosting.
- 1 ¼ cups almond butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 7 cups puffed brown rice or wheat cereal
- Dark Chocolate Ingredients
- 6 tablespoons cacao butter
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/4 cup may ple syrup
- a dash of salt
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Start by adding the almond butter, maple syrup, honey, and sea salt together in a large pot, one big enough to hold all the cereal, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until just combined and smooth.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add your rice puffs. Stir gently, folding the mixture over itself until combined. Now you’re ready to roll! Grab an 8-8-inch glass or metal baking dish, then pour in the puffed rice mixture. Flatten with a spatula, then stick the pan in the fridge for at least 15 minutes so the rice can cool and solidify.
- Now onto important things like chocolate. You can absolutely make this with dark chocolate chips, but I love the taste and control of the sugar that I get when I make my own dark chocolate. Plus, it’s so easy! Just use a double boiler over medium heat and stir the chocolate ingredients until they melt together.
- Take your rice puff mixture from the fridge, spread the melted chocolate over the top with a spatula, then let everything solidify in the fridge of freezer for another 20-30 minutes. When the chocolate is solid, cut your bars into 16 squares and enjoy!
- Note: These keep best covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.