Hello loves! Very excited to share with you all this absolutely unbelievable Beet & Kale Quinoa Salad! It’s perfect for any time of the year and is just the best thing ever. This dish is pretty enough to serve at a party, but easy enough to make in a big batch for your weekday lunches like I love to do. Plus, it’s gluten-free, plant-based, vegan, and free of refined sugar like all my recipes!
There is a refreshing, delicate flavor to this dish that is really brought out by the leek, mint, and parsley inside. The beets also add a fantastic texture, sweetness, and color to this dish and make it actually get a bit darker the longer you keep it. Everything with the power to make you feel amazing is in this salad – we’ve got the beets, but also kale and quinoa for a fantastic boost of fiber, iron, antioxidants, and complete protein!
This is a recipe that I crave all year long. You might think I’m being a little ridiculous, but it’s the truth! This recipe already has everything that your body needs right inside – greens, complete protein, antioxidants, and good fats. You can eat it just by itself and have a completely satisfying meal, or pair with fresh veggies, hummus, and sweet potato wedges for the lunch bowl of the gods. I love eating this dish both hot and cold too – it’s wonderful either way!
Pro tip for you loves: save time by boiling your quinoa and beet pots at the same time, then chopping and sauteeing your veggies while they’re at work. Cooking amazing meals in the kitchen gets a whole lot easier and more inviting when you find some easy ways to cut time. Try this one out! I know you’ll love it.
- 3 large beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 leek, finely sliced (only slice the white part of the leek)
- ½ large white onion, sliced
- 1 ½ cups chopped green kale leaves removed from stalk
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 ½ lemons
- 2 tablespoon cumin powder
- A dash of sea salt
- Optional: bee pollen for topping
- Start by cooking the quinoa! Add the water and quinoa together, cover, and bring to a boil, then simmer (cook at low heat) for about 20 minutes, or until the water absorbs, then set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prep the beets for boiling. Wash and chop the ends off, then fill a medium pot with enough water to cover them and plop them in. Set to boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes, or until you can easily stick a fork into each beet. They cook differently depending on their size so be sure to test each one if you’re making several! Peel (this will be super easy after boiling!), then slice the beets into bite-sized pieces and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a separate large pan, then finely chop the garlic cloves and add them in. Saute for 1 minute, then add the white onion and leek and saute for another 5 minutes, or until the onions and leeks are slightly translucent. Next, add the kale and saute for an additional 2 minutes, or until the leaves are slightly wilted. Remove from the heat and add the quinoa, beets, mint, and remaining ingredients through sea salt then stir together. You can either serve it warm or enjoy it cold later on. The color and flavors actually blend together better as you store it! Top with bee pollen whenever you do decide to serve!