Tacos tacos tacos, oh how I love you! If you’re looking for a weeknight-friendly 30-minute taco recipe tonight that will make your tastebuds and belly happy, I’ve got just the thing for you: good belly probiotic tacos! The best part is that these babies are gluten-free and vegan too! I’ve loved these on my busiest nights recently and am so excited to finally share them with you.
Probiotic tacos? Heck yes! They’re loaded with fiber, greens, and kimchi for a gorgeous color and some major digestion-boosting power. The probiotics in the recipe come from the purple kimchi topping. While adding tons of color and some quality crunch, the kimchi also revs your system up with good gut bacteria that we’re often missing with our western diets. A healthier gut = a happier you. It’s pretty simple.
We all love Mexican comfort food and this is recipe 100% hits that mark. The tacos are made my roasting sweet potatoes and the mama of all awesome things, plantains, then topping them with sautéed black beans & kale, avocado, cilantro, and kimchi. They’re absolutely perfection.
Think this dish can’t get any better? Think again! (I apologize for that tacky joke, but there is some major writer’s block going on here 😉 ) The taco fillings can be enjoyed throughout the week in burrito bowls, wraps, salads, and veggie sautees. Cook this and you’ll never get bored.
If you love this recipe and want more simple comfort food ready in under 30 minutes, try my 5-Minute Cashew Kale Pesto Pasta, Mexican Fajita Bowl, 10-Minute Chickpea Bolognese, or 10-Ingredient Healthy Pad Thai
I can’t wait to see you try this dish! Be sure to share your photos with #carolynspantry!
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 large plantain, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ large red onion, chopped
- 1 15oz. can black beans, drained
- 1 cup kale leaves, packed and removed from stalk
- 12 100% corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Purple cabbage or beet kimchi
- A handful of fresh cilantro
- Fresh limes
- Preheat your oven to 425*F
- This recipe is super easy. Start by chopping the sweet potatoes, leaving the skin on, followed by the plantains. Toss them with 1 tablespoon olive oil the chili powder, and 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt before spreading the mixture on a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet and baking for 25 minutes.
- Start on the bean and kale mixture while the sweet potatoes and plantains are roasting. Just heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then add the chopped garlic and onions. Saute for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are slightly translucent before adding the black beans, kale leaves, and another 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt. Saute, stirring often, for about another 3-5 minutes, or until the kale leaves are wilted.
- You’re ready to roll as soon as your sweet potatoes and plantains are done baking. Just remove them from the oven and set aside to cool. To assemble the taco, grab a tortilla, add some of the black bean & kale mixture, then baked plantains and sweet potatoes, followed by a few slices of avocado, the purple kimchi, and fresh cilantro with a dash of lime and enjoy!