These simple stewed apples are absolutely heavenly as a sweet and comforting Fall breakfast or dessert and go great on top of oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, and of course spiced apple bread.
Cooking these is kind of the best thing ever because it fills the whole room with spices and the smell of Fall. Pop these over the stove, turn on the new season of Gilmore Girls, and you’ve got a perfect Fall morning.
Store these in a sealed container in your fridge (mason jars work great)for up to a week.
- 2 gala apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- about 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Start by peeling the apples and thinly slicing them into small wedges. Add them to a small saucepan with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook the apples over medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes until the apples become soft and golden. Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional few minutes to let the liquid reduce. Let cool and serve it on up!