Looking for a perfect on-the-go snack? These ah-mazing raw, gluten-free, plant-based energy balls are a wonderful way to get nutrients and protein into your body as your zooming through your busy day. They store really well and are totally portable on the move. I love eating these with a green juice after a gym workout or as a snack if I know I’m not going to be able to eat for a while.
Every amazing thing in my pantry is packed into these fantastic energy balls. Flax and hemp add a boost of Omega-3s and antioxidants. The raw cacao powder too actually has 20x the antioxidants of fresh blueberries and tastes so dreamy with the hazelnuts. It’s like guilt-free Nutella on the go! Maca powder is totally optional, but it does add a great boost of energy to your day without the peaks and crashes of caffeine. I don’t drink coffee anymore and find that maca and matcha really help to give a little kick to your morning. I swear they really do work! Try them out 🙂
These do require a food processor, which can seem like quite an investment at times, but just trust me, it’s an amazing tool that I use almost every day. My food processor makes throwing together raw energy balls the easiest thing in the world. You can just pop them in, then roll the balls in your hands while catching up on your favorite show and before you know it, you’ve got a fantastic snack for the rest of the week.
The hardest part about making these energy balls is just trying not to eat them all at once! 😉 If you love this recipe and want to try another, check out my amazing Raw Spirulina & Coconut Energy Bites!
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 ½ cup raw hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 ½ cup medjool dates, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- Start by putting the hazelnuts or almonds, hemp seeds, and flax meal in a food processor and blend for about a minute until you get a coarse meal. You’re then ready to add the remaining ingredients into the processor and blend for another 1-2 minutes, or until the ingredients begin to grip together. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the energy ball mixture into your hands, press the dough together, and mold into a ball. Set aside and repeat until you finish the entire mixture. Store in an airtight container the refrigerator for up to 10 days.