Most people know that kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods out there, but that raw kale can also be a bit rough in a salad. The trick to enjoying the most fantastic kale salad of your life is to massage the leaves and let natural acids soften them. So really, massage that kale everyone! I’ve been playing around with different combinations of veggies and toppings and this is by far my favorite. This really is such a refreshing salad and makes an unbelievable side dish or main meal. Plus, it’s really easy to make and can be thrown together in 5 minutes after work!
There are several different varieties of kale in most supermarkets, green kale, red kale, and dino kale. I personally love green kale or red kale in here, but dino kale tends to be very rough and is better for soups and stews. Once you massage the creamy avocado and simple lime juice and apple cider vinegar in, stir some sliced fennel into your salad. Fennel might sound like a funny ingredient to eat raw, but it’s just amazing. I started trying it out in everything from salads to tacos this month and just fell in love. It’s a Mediterranean plant that has a wonderful licorice flavor and fantastic crunch to it. It’s loaded with vitamins and antioxidants too, so it’s a wonderful detox veggie. Make sure to cut off the long stalks and the end of it before slicing and to slice parallel to the end of the bulb. That makes it a lot easier to get nice thin slices.
Raw spiralized beets are just the most amazing topping to this salad. They add another extra crunch and some fantastic color and are so perfect for summer. If your beet is really big, just slice it in half and save the other half for a juice or another salad.
I love topping this with baked chickpeas and pumpkin seeds when I’m really hungry and want to make a meal out of this dish.
- - 1 large bundle fresh green kale
- - 1 avocado, sliced
- - Juice of 1 lemon
- - 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- - 1 fennel bulb
- - 1 small or ½ large beet, spiralized
- - Juice of 1 lemon
- - 2 tablespoon olive oil
- - A dash of salt
- - A dash of pepper
- - Roasted chickpeas
- - Pumpkin seeds
- To make the salad, start by washing the kale leaves and removing the leaves from the stalks and putting them into a large bowl. Next, add the avocado, lemon, and apple cider vinegar to the kale and massage the ingredients into the leaves. Keep working them in until kale leaves begin to soften. Next, wash the fennel bulb, chop off the end and the stalks coming out of the bulb. You’re going to slice the fennel into ¼ inch pieces that go well with the salad. It’s make your slices parallel to the end of the bulb. Add the fennel to the salad, then toss until mixed.
- Now we’re ready for toppings! First wash and peel the beet, then use a spiralizer to work it into noodles. You can use a vegetable peeler if you don’t have a spiralizer. Add the beets to the top of the salad. For the dressing, simply combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper together and pour on top of the salad. Now you’re ready to enjoy!